ALBANIA Gilsonite 200 MESH Test Result
Blending same materials as existing formulation other than Gilsonite
About other materials, vegetable oil is mainly used, and organic solvent is not used.
Viscosity:56.8dPa・s(25℃,E type) Existing formulation :around 200dPa・s
・When viscosity being measured, there was many grain and viscosity is unstable
・Viscosity is lower than American Gilsonite. To control viscosity, it needs more ALBANIA ingredients.
・About filtration, it was done by same precision as mass production. In initial few seconds, it was able to be filtrated. But grained residue closed the filtration net and it stopped soon.
・In varnish remained in the flask, there was much muddy sediment, and it was thought that the residue was precipitating.
Replacing part of vegetable oil of Test 1 formulation to fatty acid monoester, it evaluated if residue is able to be solved.
- Viscosity was down by the effect of fatty acid monoester, and initial filtrated quantity got a little more. But filtrate net was closed in the middle, and filtration stopped.
-Though solubility in the formulation was increased by fatty acid monoester, residue did not decrease.
Replacing ester solvent of Test 2 formulation to ink solvent, it was evaluated.
-The result of filtration was same as Test1.
-Even ink solvent, that is very high solubility, could not make residue to decrease.
Vacuum filtration test
-Making varnish by formulation of test1, vacuum filtration was done.
-It used same filtration material as mass production. It blocked residue contamination by sandwiching filter paper between the filtration material and Buchner funnel.
-After filtrating varnish, muddy sediment remained in funnel.
-The sediment quantity was about half quantity of the varnish filtrated.
-It tried to continue filtration on this, but filtration stopped.
Quantitative test of residual amount
- Weighing 10g of varnish.
- Filtrating the varnish by metal net that is more precision than filtration material.
- Washing varnish, that remained in the metal net, with xylene many time
- After washing, putting it in dry machine overnight, and it remove xylene.
- Finally, weighing what remained in the metal net, and filtration residue and residual ratio in varnish were calculated.
Gilsonite quantity in varnish1:2.57g
Residual ratio in Gilsonite:39.7%
- Calculating quantity in 10g by blend ratio of varnish
-Residue is much and filtration is not practical, so filtration is big issue.
-Filtration stops in the middle, and it is thought that residue grain closes the filter.
-In the case of not washing residue by solvent, residue remain more than half of vacuum filtration and yield becomes about 50%. It is not practical value.
-Warming filtration was also ineffective.